Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Home Sweet Home

We've all heard the cliche: Home sweet home. But what is "home," exactly? Is it our place of residence? The house we grew up in? Is it the coffee house, bar, or some other hangout where we meet up with our loved ones? Is it a place at all? Does it refer to family? (And for that matter, what is family?) Friends? Strangers? Is a home merely inhabited, or does it serve some greater purpose? Is love there? Hate? Indifference? Is it a safe place or a dangerous one? Is home something external, or does it only exist within us? What is a home supposed to be? Whatever our individual definitions of "home," we all likely consider some place, some situation, or some gathering of people "home." Consider the conventional definition of "home" and how your own idea of "home" either confirms or denies that.

However you define home and family, A Home at the End of the World may challenge that definition as it portrays what many people consider to be very unconventional ideas of family life. Spending some time thinking about your own views of these concepts will prepare you for thinking more deeply about these concepts in the film as we discuss them in class.






2 comments:

  1. To me home is a warm comfortable place. A place that is full of love and kindness. Home can be a house a person grew up in and a home can also be moved into a different one. The house a person grew up in shared many memories and when moving to a new house it is a time where new memories are made. The memories are not all good ones or not all bad ones. But it’s memories that will always be remembered in a person’s heart, mind, and soul. A home is both external and internal. A home always surrounds people but a home will also live inside of them. Not all homes are always a safe place. Some can be dangerous. In a home or even a place where people hangout, people share a lot of feelings and emotions. It is like the song Walmart Parking Lot by Chris Cagle, where he experienced many different feelings. A house also defines a person’s character. This is also like another song that is called The House That Built Me by Miranda Lambert. The home where the heart is, is a mere opinion, because to everyone it can be a place where people hangout with their friends or not even their own house. Even in the end of time, Heaven can be said to be called a home where the heart is; that depends if a person is religious or not. To the people that believe a home is not just a house and believe that being with their friends is a home, that life in general can be a home to people. Because every day in life in this world, feelings are shared with friends, family, co-workers, etc… It is really up to a person where their heart belongs and even a soul mate can be a person’s home because their heart is with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My definition of home… to me, home is where I live with my family, the ones I love. Right now, my home is where I live at with my parents and my brothers, it is where I sleep, and it is where I go every night. When I get married to my fiancé, and we get our own place, then my home will change to where we end up moving to and living. She plans on continuing her college education after we get married, and plans on going to Bradley, so our home will be somewhere in Peoria for a few years after we are married. After she is done, we plan on moving back to the Williamsville area, and so our home will move with us. My childhood home will always be where I grew up at, the house that my parents live at, but my home after I move out will be where I live with my soon to be wife, the place where I come home to, and the place where I raise my own family. It will be a place that I would like to build, a place that I would like to live the rest of my life in, and grow old with the woman I love, a place where my soon to be wife and I will be happy for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete